While I was writing my last post, I was aware that it could have been a whole lot longer as, through the act of writing, my mind was jogged about various technical issues I’d encountered during my recording efforts. I hinted at some of those in the closing of my post and since I’ve encountered another overnight, the time for further discussion of technical issues is now. I’ll try to be brief, since I suppose these issues aren’t as fascinating to readers (though I’m not sure I have any yet) as they are to me.
I did my first recording for Librivox using the in-built microphone on my laptop. While that worked well enough, I became aware of sound-quality issues in my subsequent attempts. For this reason, there was a gap of about a year before I contributed to my next Librivox recording.
I finally got around to purchasing the recommended beginner’s microphone just before Christmas and contributed the final chapter of The Fairies and the Christmas Child by Lilian Gask. (Again, the completed audiobook is not available at the time of writing–I swear I’m not making these up!) The noise-cancelling feature of this microphone helped me sound better, although it still didn’t eliminate those pesky crow sounds–more on which later.
Emboldened, I then contributed seven chapters to a project still in production, The Red and the Black, Vol. One by Stendhal. (Why don’t we use his given names?) In that case I had to resurrect my undergraduate French and my even more appalling Italian for the epigraphs that began each chapter. But more on LOTE feats later.
The main issue I’m encountering with the USB microphone, now I have one, is the question of bumps. Working in a wooden house on a wooden desk seems to amplify the slightest movement and I end up with the occasional bump even when I’m sure I was nowhere near close enough to the microphone. I’m going to try the stack of books suggestion I just read on the wiki page I linked to above.
I’m trying to confine myself to 300-500 words per post here, so it looks like the discussion of technical issues has turned into a series and this is Part 1. I have so many more things to work through in this category.